Presentations and Interviews:
- Presentations and Handouts -
- Virginia Tech Trumpet Festival (September 2016):
- I presented a lecture and clinic on focusing on the fundamentals during the warm-up process. During this lecture I also lead a warm-up session with faculty and students to demonstrate each handout section's goals and purpose during the warm-up. *Below is the handout from that lecture and clinic.
*Below is the handout from that lecture and clinic.
- Virginia Music Educators Association 2017 Conference (Hot Springs, Virginia) - Guest Presenter
- Presenting a clinic on teaching students to focus on musical goals through primary and secondary musical structures. Primary structures highlight the main musical goals, while the secondary structures present themselves a phrase checkpoints and are broken down into various classical ornamental figures. This procedure enables students to learn their parts faster, as well as perform works with a stronger musical idea.
- International Horn Society 2016 Conference (Ithaca, NY) - Guest Lecturer and Performer
- Co-presented a lecture on commissioning new music for brass trio, and presented world premiere of Tyler Ogilvie's "Realm's End"
- International Trumpet Guild 2015 Conference (Columbus, Ohio) - "College Faculty Panel Discussion"
- Served as a member on the college faculty panel, representing Cornell University, that allowed students and parents to discuss the procedures and details when applying, auditioning and going to college for music.
- Interviews -
- Trumpet Teacher Talk Podcast - Episode 31 "First, be a Musician" A conversation with Dr. J. Peyden Shelton. (recorded November 18th, 2016)
- Trumpet Teacher Talk Podcast - Episode 40 "The Trumpet Repertoire Project" with Dr. J. Peyden Shelton. (recorded February 16th, 2017)